Sydney, 3 February, 2009: GPayments, the leading Australian-based authentication and payment solution company, has announced the availability of a new solution to address usability issues surrounding Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and JCB J/Secure authenticated purchases. These issues relate to the delay that users commonly experience, whilst online shopping, waiting for the authentication page to be displayed. The new solution eliminates this delay by reducing the time taken to present the authentication page to the user from as much as 12 seconds down to less than a second.
The authentication solution, Web2API, has been developed in conjunction with GPayments leading merchant authentication product, ActiveMerchant, utilising some of the latest web technologies. Web2API delivers significant improvements to the current Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and JCB J/Secure process by pre-processing authentication messages in advance, once the user commences the payment step of a secure online purchase. The benefits of Web2API to the user’s secure online shopping experience include:
- Precise communication from the merchant to advise when authentication will be expected, in line with Visa’s Best Practice,
- Providing context for users by associating the presentation of the authentication page with the input of their credit card details,
- Immediate presentation of the authentication page, following the entry of purchase information by online purchasers.
The Web2API for ActiveMerchant makes these improvements to the Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and JCB J/Secure authentication process possible by:
- Preparing and sending the user’s enrolment message as soon as the card number has been entered into the merchant’s eCommerce website,
- Pre-fetching the response while the user is entering payment information,
- Pre-fetching the authentication page while the user is entering payment information,
- Presenting the authentication page as soon as the user has completed entering their purchase information.
According to Bahram Boutorabi, GPayments’ CEO and founder: “After receiving feedback from users, merchants, issuers and the card schemes about the Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and JCB J/Secure user authentication experience, we developed the Web2API solution with the aim of improving the user experience and assisting merchants with their implementations. Since it was first demonstrated in May 2007, we have made significant improvements to the solution. The public release of the Web2API for ActiveMerchant addresses usability issues, which may have prevented online merchants from implementing these authentication schemes, in the past. We now believe that merchants, seeing the significant improvement in the user experience, will be more likely to embrace Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and JCB J/Secure, and this is likely to reduce the incidence of eCommerce fraud.”
GPayments 3-D Secure Merchant Plug-In achieved 3-D Secure version 1.0.2 compliance with Visa International in 2002. There are two editions, ActiveMerchant Standard and ActiveMerchant Enterprise.
- ActiveMerchant Standard is designed for small merchants; it offers a redirection implementation model and utilises a proprietary database for data storage.
- ActiveMerchant Enterprise is designed for larger merchants, payment service providers and banks. It offers both a redirection and API implementation model, is scalable across multiple servers and utilises a relational database for secure data storage.
Both ActiveMerchant editions have similar features which include:
- Simultaneous compliance with Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and JCB J/Secure
- Installation wizard to simplify the installation process
- Configuration and operation management administration interface with merchant profile management, reporting, transaction searching, certificate configuration, management and auditing features
- Support for Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard including the encryption of sensitive cardholder and transactional data
- Pre-configuration with GPayments 3-D Secure test system allowing implementation testing to be conducted prior to mandatory card scheme product integration / functional testing.
ActiveMerchant is available for evaluation through GPayments ActiveMerchant Distribution Website (mpi.gpayments.com). GPayments Web2API for ActiveMerchant will be made available upon request after registering with the site.
GPayments Pty Ltd, is a founding member of Visa International’s 3-D Secure Forum and a leading provider of online authentication solutions. GPayments’ vision is to work with client and partner organisations and through innovation, reduce fraud by facilitating the widespread adoption of multi-factor authentication technologies for the benefit of users, enterprise organisations and government. GPayments has been at the development forefront of online technology since its inception and having delivered a number of industry firsts, the company’s future directions continue to be guided by client demand and market need. Further information can be found at www.gpayments.com.
VP Business Development and Client Services
GPayments Pty Ltd
+612 9453 5411